Hydrox manufactures Solar Shrink – a patented agricultural mulch film that is 30% thinner, 300% stronger and 10% cheaper.
The Problem And How You Are Solving It:
Hydrox Technologies is:
- Improving mulch film performance: Plastic mulch film expands in the sun becoming loose and flapping in the wind. This causes heat and moisture loss. Flapping mulch also damages seedlings and fruit. Our mulch film shrinks in the sun to lay tightly against the bed
- Reduce labour costs: In USA mulch film is made elastic to overcome the flapping problem. This film is weak and tears easily, necessitating manual labour taking 11 manhours per acre to lift. Our mulch film is retrieved by machine using 2 manhours
- Reduce plastic usage: Existing film is made thicker to strengthen it, thereby using more plastic polymer, increasing the cost per metre. Our plastic is 30% thinner and 300% stronger performing well and saving plastic used reducing selling price
- Reduce costs: Mulch film and drip tape are expensive outlays. We will supply these bundled together at direct ex-factory prices
- Reduce disposal costs: Mulch film incurs transport costs and landfill disposal fees. We will collect the film and dispose of it at no cost
- Bio-security: Soil and organic material that contaminates used mulch, prevents its transportation to recycling centres contamination increases recycling costs. We will recycle it using on-site mobile pyrolysis machines.
- Recoup energy: The energy resource contained in the plastic is recovered by pyrolysis producing diesel and oil.
We manufacture an improved and unique type of plastic mulch film.
Farmers use black plastic mulch film when growing high-value vegetables such as tomatoes and melons.
It is also used as a clear sheet to accelerate the germination of broadacre crops such as cotton and maize.
It consists of a thin sheet of LDPE plastic laid along the entire length of a growing bed, in which holes are made for crop plants to grow, and its edges buried along its length to hold it in place.
Mulch film is used to heat the soil, retain moisture, reduce weeds, keep fruit clean and to prevent soil-borne disease.
Farmers can achieve up to 400% increase in crop production when using mulch film, which is replaced at the beginning of each season.
Hydrox intends to be the market leader and besides having a much better product will insulate the company from competition by taking complete stewardship of its products.
It will also manufacture and supply, directly to farmers, all other plastic products associated with open field protective cropping such as drip irrigation pipe (tape), crop cover and low tunnels.
Hydrox will further establish a franchise division for Contract Lifting and Baling the used plastic at the end of the season.
This waste plastic will form the input for a Pyrolysis Division which will recycle the waste into diesel and bunker oil for use.